Ink color matching and proofing
We use PMS colors specified, or can custom match submitted materials. When using PMS, specify colors from the uncoated “U” section or coated “C” section as appropriate for the bag paper type. PMS ink color standards and formulations are per our ink supplier’s current PMS swatch book. Please specify the PMSU shade that best matches color(s) previously printed on coated paper. May be a different PMS #. There are many PMSC colors that cannot be matched on uncoated papers, and paper colors/shades other than white. PMS colors can be matched – a $150.00 charge per color will apply.
We send ink drawdowns for all PMS matches on Recycled Natural Kraft, White Kraft, Claycoat and Oatmeal, as well as for custom matches to colors other than PMS. Approval is needed before bags can be produced.
With our commitment to environmentally friendly water based inks and limiting the non-recoverable waste generated in our plant, we offer only three metallic inks: Gold 872, Silver 877 and Copper 876. Maximum coverage 50%, with up charge. No custom metallic matches. Ask Customer Service about non-metallic matches to metallic colors, available without up charge - the more sustainable ink alternative.
All bags are proofed, usually as a folded one color blueprint, with different shades used to differentiate multiple colors, and/or screens of one color. These blueprints do not show actual screens. When there are screens, a conventional dylux blueline will be burned from a negative for approval of the screens. Alternative proofs may be furnished when tight register and/or complicated trapping of multiple colors are involved. Bag proof approval is needed before production.
Screens and Halftones
The line screen used in our process ranges between 45 and 55. The coarse screen is not apparent from typical viewing distance and insures cleanest possible dot reproduction. Due to the differences between how wide web flexo and offset litho reproduce screens and halftones, we request the opportunity to review the design elements to provide specific production art direction as early in the planning process as possible. Halftones must have strong contrast, as must steps between manually selected screen values of the same color. Subtle tone variations will not reproduce. Please have the artist contact us before going very far with a design using halftones and screens. We're happy to supply printed bag samples with halftones upon request.
Post Print & Hot Stamp Guidelines
Post printing and hot stamping are executed on bags after they are manufactured. There are limitations to these processes, including:
• Claycoated bags cannot be post printed - hot stamping only.
• Logos combining heavy coverage or reversed images may not print well. Positive images are preferred.
• Screens, borders and heavy coverage areas will likely distort when post printed over the folds of a bag.
• Logos containing fine detail and small reverses will probably fill in when hot stamped. Enlarge these areas or consider post printing for a better result.
• Logos must be positioned at least 1” below the handle/patch.
• Specifications to center top to bottom may be adjusted to “center best” when true center will cause image quality problems due to folds, patches, handles, etc.
• Exact registration between two or more colors can not be maintained. Variation from perfect registration may range 1/8” to 1/2” depending on the product and process.
• Screening limited to 30% density at 30 line screen.
• We strive to produce the highest quality in our printing and hot stamping. Changes will be suggested when necessary to achieve a quality job within the capabilities of our processes and the materials available.